Returns & ExchangesAdam
At Silicon Solar, we stand behind every product we sell. If any item fails due to defect in material workmanship,
Silicon Solar will repair or replace it within the specified warranty period. We continually try to find a product
that will suit your needs, making it easy to exchange almost any item for a full in store credit.
Return Policy Overview: Silicon Solar understands returning merchandise to an online retailer can sometimes be confusing. Our return policy is straightforward and easy to follow, which should result in a seamless process for you, our customer. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, we will assist you in exchanging or returning your item, as long as the exchange/return falls within our specified guidelines detailed below.
Silicon Solar does not accept the following items for return:
- Solar cells
- Educational solar kits
- Solar thermal systems and their components (unless a certified SunMaxx Dealer or Distributor is requesting the return).
Note: we use high standards to package and ship our products, but due to their fragility, we are not responsible for solar cells damaged during shipment.
Time Frame for Refund or Repair
- A refund will be issued for a Return Merchandise Authorization that is requested within 18 days from receipt of item
- An in-store credit will be issued for an RMA that is requested within 30 days from receipt of item
- Items determined to have a manufacturer’s defect are eligible for repair or replacement within 30 days from customer’s receipt of the item (please see items with no warranty for exceptions to this policy). Beyond this time frame, items with a manufacturer’s defect will be repaired–but not exchanged–for up to 90 days from customer’s receipt of the item.
- Items with damage for a reason other than a manufacturer’s defect will be repaired or replaced within 30 days from customer’s receipt of the item (if the product has a warranty). Items with damage that is not due to a manufacturer’s defect will be repaired–but not exchanged–for up to 90 days from customer’s receipt of the item, but a nominal repair fee will apply, which is defined below in the Repair Process section.
Warranties: Warranties are listed on the product page for each item. If a warranty is not listed on the product page that product has a 30 day warranty. Several of our products include the option to purchase an extended warranty. If offered, the extended warranty can be found on the individual product page for that item. We offer many products that are “kits” assembled from various items, each component with its own warranty. The warranty on these items will be honored based upon the individual item’s warranty.
Warranties are not offered on solar cells, batteries, and educational kits.
Warranties are non-transferable. As such, only the original purchaser may use a warranty. For example, if a home owner installs a SunMaxx solar thermal system in their home, then sells the home, the warranty does not transfer to the new owner.
Return Process: Call 800-786-0329 to speak with a Customer Service Representative or you may email us at [email protected]. If a return is determined to be necessary, the CSR will provide you with an RMA number. Ship the product to us using the same packaging material, if possible. Be certain the merchandise is packaged securely to avoid damage during transit. We are not responsible for damage caused during shipping due to lack of proper packing on the customer’s behalf. Very clearly and legibly write the RMA number on the outside of the box, preferably on two or three sides. We suggest using a thick marker that is easy to read on cardboard. Ship the box using a traceable and insurable carrier. We are not responsible for packages lost during shipment back to us. As previously stated, we do not pay, nor reimburse, for return shipping. You will have 15 days to return the product from the date we issue the RMA. Packages received after 15 days will be rejected and returned to you at your expense. After 15 days, the RMA expires, and no refunds, in-store credits, or repairs will be authorized. After the package is inspected by our staff and found to be in suitable condition, a refund or in-store credit will be issued, or our technicians will get to work repairing or replacing your product.
Repair Process: Oftentimes, a product can be repaired for a nominal fee. This fee is a flat rate of $3.00 + 5% of the original cost of the item + $7.00 for return shipping. To obtain authorization to return a product to us for repair, follow the steps in Return Process above. When creating an RMA request for you, we will obtain credit card information from you to pay for the repair. After our repair technician inspects your merchandise and determines a repair is feasible, we will charge the credit card on file and repair the merchandise. If it turns out a repair is not possible, we will contact you to discuss options.
- In the event a large item is sent in for repair, the cost of return shipping may be greater than $7.00. We will notify you of the additional cost and obtain consent to charge the credit card on file. Typically, we will obtain consent when you initially call us to request a repair RMA and provide us with credit card information.
- Note: None of the above applies to products determined to need repair due to a manufacturer’s defect. For defective products, please see information under “Return Process.”
International Returns: At this time we do not accept returns on international orders. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Damaged/Lost Packages: If you receive a damaged package, you must notify us within 48 hours from the package’s delivery. Call 800-786-0329 to speak with a CSR and provide all pertinent information. We will file a claim with our carrier on your behalf. Once a claim is filed, our carrier is in charge of the claim until it is settled. We do not ship replacement merchandise nor issue refunds until the claim is settled. Occasionally, packages are lost by the carrier. You may track the package online to view its progress using the tracking number provided in your email at the time of shipment. If you believe your package is lost, immediately call us so we can file a claim.
Receiving and Calculating Refunds: It can take up to 20 days for refunds to be processed. A breakdown of the process is below:
- 3-7 days for us to receive the package from the carrier
- 2-5 days for our warehouse to process your RMA
- 1-3 days for our accounting department to process the refund
- 3-5 days for your bank to process the refund
If a 15% restocking fee is necessary, you can calculate your refund by multiplying the costs of the item by .85. For example, if your item costs $70, your refund would be calculated as $70 * .85 = $59.50. As we do not reimburse for shipping, be sure not to include shipping costs when calculating your refund.
Cancellation Request: All orders may be canceled prior to shipping by calling 800-786-0329 and speaking with a CSR. If your package has not left the warehouse, we will cancel the order and email a confirmation invoice with “Canceled” as the status. If the package has already left our warehouse, you can refuse the package upon delivery. Do not open the package, as this will make you responsible for return shipping costs and a 15% restocking fee. If you were not available at the time of delivery and the package was left for you, you can take the unopened package to the local carrier and inform them you refuse the package.
- Note: Cancellation requests made after the package has left our warehouse are subject to all shipping charges. We will calculate the appropriate refund to be given after we receive the item at our warehouse. As a general rule, total shipping costs for a refused package will be about double the original shipping amount.
Cancellation Request for Solar Training Seminars: A full refund will be issued for seminar cancellations that occur prior to 14 days before the date of the seminar. After 14 days, a refund will not be issued, but the payment will be applied to attendance at an upcoming seminar.
Duplicate Shipments: If you receive a duplicate shipment, DO NOT open the package. Please refuse the package when it is delivered or drop the package off at your nearest carrier. Opening the package will make you responsible for return shipping.
Discretion of Silicon Solar: Silicon Solar reserves the right to refuse a return. If a return is refused, we will notify you as to the reason why. Furthermore, we retain the right to change and alter the return policy as we deem necessary.
For the winter holidays, our return policy is as follows. This policy applies to items purchased from Black Friday onward.
Items returned by original purchaser: Returns accepted for exchange, store credit, or refund up to January 20th.
Items returned by someone who has received them as a gift: Returns accepted for exchange or store credit up to January 20th.
Full Return Policy: A more detailed version of the return policy can be downloaded here.